This one is easy and can feed a lot of people. Add more vegetables if you have a larger crock pot, less if you have a smaller crock pot. I throw this on Saturday mornings before leaving for 8:00am practices and it’s ready after I get home after 4:00 games. It takes about 20 minutes to assemble in the morning, but it’s ready and smelling delicious when you get home at night.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 package French onion soup mix
- 1lb or more of stewing beef (you can also use a roast)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 can Cambell’s Tomato soup
- 1 can Cambell’s Vegetable soup
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- Chopped cabbage (2 cups)
- Chopped carrots (4-5)
- 1/3 cup red wine (optional)
- Chopped potatoes (I prefer to leave these out of the stew and cook and mash them separately in the evening as the gravy from the stew tastes so delicious over mashed potatoes!)
Dip the beef in flour, add oil to a pan and drop in chopped onion and beef. Once only slightly browned on each side, add ½ cup water and onion soup mix. Cook approximately 5 minutes (you do not want to fully cook the meat, just brown it). In the meantime you can be chopping the cabbage, carrots, and potatoes (if you are adding them). Add everything from your pan and the rest of the ingredients to your crock pot and cook it 6-8 hours on low, 4-6 hours on high. You can adjust the amount of vegetables based on the size of your crock pot. Serve with some nice crusty bread.